Barbecuing or grilling meals is a favorite pastime for most of us. Whatever the occasion, grilling is an integral part of our lives. Charcoal grills are becoming more popular since they are inexpensive, portable, and long-lasting.
Using a charcoal barbecue allows you to consume fresh food wherever you are and yet enjoy your favorite flavor.
In this article, you’ll learn about some of the best charcoal grills on the market. Selecting the best grills may be a tall order if you are not armed with the right information.
Based on the useful tips in this article, you will be able to make an informed choice on which charcoal grill is best for you.
- 1 What to consider when looking for the best charcoal grill
- 2 A Product Review of the Best Charcoal Grills
- 2.1 Masterbuilt MB20041220 Gravity Series 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker, 202.9 lbs, Black
- 2.2 Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black
- 2.3 Royal Gourmet CD1824E 24-inch Charcoal BBQ Grill Outdoor Picnic Patio Cooking Backyard Party
- 2.4 Masterbuilt MB20080220 Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker Cover, Black
- 2.5 Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill 18 Inch Black
What to consider when looking for the best charcoal grill
The quality of a charcoal grill will depend on the materials and their ability to withstand heavy use and heat. Heavy ceramic, cast iron, or cast aluminum are excellent options for a top-quality grill.
Are you searching for a top-quality charcoal grill at a premium price? Chrome-plated or porcelain-coated metals are less expensive, but they aren’t as durable. What factors should you consider before purchasing a charcoal grill?
Cooking area and size
How many people do you want to grill for?
Consider the amount of space you need for a grill’s cooking area, operation space, and storage space.
Feeding huge crowds may be a challenge if you have a small family. Using an excessive amount of fuel will lead to an increase in your fuel consumption.
Consider features like large handles, tool holders, and storage shelves when examining charcoal grills. With an adjustable charcoal tray, you can control the temperature and distance between charcoal and food with more ease. Grilling becomes more delightful with the addition of small extras like these, even if they are expensive.
Shape of the grill:
It’s common to see spherical charcoal grills. Indirect cooking surfaces are created around the perimeter of the grate because of their shape. Rectangular charcoal models are also an option. You can achieve a gas grill-like feel by creating more separate cooking zones using charcoal grills.
There’s no need to spend a lot of money on a charcoal barbecue if you’re only going to use it once in a while. A basic model with an ample cooking area for a small gathering will do.
The best charcoal grill for smoking is well-insulated and can keep its temperature for an extended period of time.
Stability and temperature control
You’ve mastered the art of putting out fires. There are ways to deal with temperature discrepancies. Having a grill that responds to your commands and maintains a stable temperature is a major perk for most people.
There are some grills that have more useful features than others. Thermometers are standard equipment on several models.
Once you purchase a good grill, you should enjoy your barbecues stress free, as long as you avoid common grilling mistakes made by people when grilling, especially the newbies.
A Product Review of the Best Charcoal Grills
A review of some of the best charcoal grills in the market will help you zero in on a charcoal grill of your choice.
Masterbuilt MB20041220 Gravity Series 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker, 202.9 lbs, Black
- Reaches 225°F in 10 minutes or 700°F in 15 minutes
- Control temperature and cook time with the digital control panel or with smart device control using WiFi or Bluetooth
- DigitalFan for precise temperature control
Charcoal briquettes and jumbo lumps are held in this smoker’s specific side charcoal funnel. Charcoal is fed to the flames in a continuous stream by an automated, computerized control system.
Even so, this isn’t just a smoker that can maintain temps of around 165 degrees all the time. When the settings are just right, you can also use this model as a wood-fired oven or a direct flame grill.
Because of the digital control center and the gravity-fed delivery system, you can operate the internal fan with precision and control.
That way, you may burn your smoking wood or charcoal for up to 16 hours at a constant temperature since it will have the exact amount of oxygen it needs. Reloading the hopper chute even when running low on charcoal is really simple.
- Extra prep space is provided by a folding stainless steel shelf and a side shelf
- Cord storage that folds out of the way behind the shelf protects the power supply from damage or loss.
- Use the digital control panel to set the temperature and cook time, or use Bluetooth or WiFi to manage your smart device from afar.
- It will reach 225 Fahrenheit or 700 Fahrenheit in ten minutes or less
- Gravity-feeding automatic charcoal system
- The grate area is enormous.
- Dishwasher-friendly design
- High-quality material construction
- In addition, a wireless control center is available
- The meats won’t hang
- Is difficult to move.
- To put it together, it’s somewhat cumbersome
Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black
- Holds up to 13 burgers made with a Weber burger press; Built-in lid thermometer. Rust-resistant aluminum dampers
- One-Touch cleaning system with high-capacity ash catcher provides hassle-free ash cleanup
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, and won’t rust or peel
This superb product is a lightweight grill with 363 square inches of cooking space that weighs a little over 32 pounds.
If you want to put that into perspective, the plated steel cooking grate on this grill can fit 13 burgers. You can easily access the charcoal through the hinged grate.
Thanks to plenty of room in the porcelain-enameled lid, be ready to fry some beer-can chicken or other large meats.
The lid has a built-in thermometer on top of it. When you remove the lid, you’ll find a handy angled lid hook that lets you hang the lid on the grill’s side instead of setting it on the ground.
In addition to the One-Touch cleaning system, the high-quality unit includes an enclosed ash catcher, which was not available on the original unit.
The original’s open tray allowed ash to blow everywhere as you cooked, which is a welcome improvement. There are four color options for this model: green, scarlet, black, and copper.
One-Touch cleaning system
Using this system, debris and charcoal ash can be swept into a large, detachable, high-capacity ash catcher.
Hinged cooking grates
In addition to being easy to clean, the grill’s cooking grate retains heat and is hinged so that you can add charcoal while you grill.
Using the angled lid hook, you can hang the lid on the side of the grill instead of putting it down on the floor.
The built-in lid thermometer tells you when to lower the temperature of the grill.
Protecting your lid handle from overheating is easier thanks to a heat shield.
Excellent heat retention
The bowl and lid feature porcelain-enameled material. This material retains heat and ensures uniform cooking. High grilling temperatures won’t damage the finish. This is because it won’t peel, crack, or rust like conventional coatings would.
- Portable and simple to move
- It is very easy to clean
- Simple to put together
- A great space for smoking
- Easy-to-use ash disposal system
- Small wheels
- Cooking area that is small to medium
- Compared to pellets or gas, burning charcoal requires more effort
Royal Gourmet CD1824E 24-inch Charcoal BBQ Grill Outdoor Picnic Patio Cooking Backyard Party
- SPACIOUS COOKING AREA: A total of 474 square inches cooking area, including 368 sq. in. porcelain-enameled cooking grates and 106 sq. in. stainless-steel warming rack.
- HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE CHARCOAL PAN: Height-adjustable charcoal pan, that can fine-tune the temperature during grilling, ensures the best performance.
- EASY TO ADD COALS AND CLEAN ASHES: With the charcoal access door at the front, coals can be quickly added during grilling. The galvanized draw-out ash tray collects ashes and makes it easy for dumping.
With this outdoor grill, you can do so much more with your charcoal grill than simply fling burgers and hot dogs at them. You can raise the charcoal pan and lower it using the crank on the side of the grill.
Move the charcoal directly below the grill brats to quickly cook them. Then, lower the temperature of the smoker to avoid flare-ups while smoking a piece of salmon.
As the hungry audience grows, there’s even a door under the grates that allows it to be simple to keep adding charcoal as needed. To top it all off, you’ll need a lot of charcoal to power the Royal Gourmet, so stock up now.
The porcelain-enameled cooking grates ensure even heat dispersion. The integrated thermometer and damper ensure perfect temperature management, ensuring excellent possible performance.
Charcoal pans with six levels of height adjustment help maximize heat use. The charcoal access hatch in the front makes it easy to add coals or refuel the fire. Thanks to the ashtray that pulls out from the bottom, easy cleanup is possible.
The grill has two foldable side tables for food preparation. This will help you keep all of your grilling supplies close at hand. In addition, it features ample storage space thanks to the shelf at the very bottom of the unit.
- In order to get the best results, use the charcoal pan with the six-level height adjustment system.
- Wood chips are perfect for use on this grill.
- When grilling, the charcoal access door at the front makes it simple to add more coals.
- Transport is a breeze thanks to the sturdy, two-wheeled design that can tolerate the elements.
- A minimum of 240 square feet of cooking space
- Draw-out ashtray: The galvanized draw-out ashtray makes it easy to dispose of ashes
- There is plenty of prep and storage space, with two foldable side tables and a bottom shelf that you can use for extra storage area.
- When grilling, the charcoal access door at the front makes it simple to add more coals.
- Add-on charcoal that’s easy to use
- It’s simple to add charcoal.
- Thermometer built into the grill
- The ease with which it can you can clean it
- Appropriate storage and preparation space
- Adjustable distance between charcoal and grates
- With a height-adjustable charcoal pan
- Uses lots of briquettes
Masterbuilt MB20080220 Gravity Series 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker Cover, Black
- Durable, double stitched seams to prevent leaking, keeping your grill looking new and protected from the elements
- Added interior PVC liner that prevents tearing when removing or putting the cover on the grill
- UV additives that prevent fading of the cover and an adjustable draw string to keep in place when grill is covered
This robust, water-resistant cover will shield your Masterbuilt Grill investment from the snow, rain, sun, and sleet. With ultraviolet additives to stop fading and prolong its life, the cover comes with the most durable and water-resistant material.
The PVC liner and double-stitched seams on the inside prevent tears and leaks. In order to hold the cover firmly in place during installation, you can adjust the drawstring to various lengths.
- In order to prevent the cover from fading, it features ultraviolet additives and an adjustable drawstring.
- Removing or reinstalling the grill cover is easier thanks to the inclusion of an inside PVC liner.
- To keep the unit looking new and safe from the harsh weather, it comes with strong, double-stitched seams.
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill 18 Inch Black
- Travel with taste, or grill up a quick meal on your patio with the Jumbo Joe portable charcoal grill. The compact size with larger grilling area and convenient carry handle is perfect for any weekend getaway or spontaneous day at the beach. Combustion by-products produced when using this product contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Holds up to eight burgers made with a Weber burger press
- Compact and lightweight for grilling on the go
You can use this Weber grill on your patio, in your garden, in the park, or even on the beach if you want to. It’s small enough to fit in your basement or your car trunk. It’s easy to move the grill around because it’s lightweight.
It doesn’t matter how small the grill is; you can feed your entire family with this Weber. You can store 8 Weber Burger Press burgers inside.
For the best-tasting meat, the grill’s design includes dampers that allow you to adjust the temperature within. A ceramic-enameled bowl and lid also help keep the food warm while you prepare it.
The heavy-duty steel charcoal grate and steel-plated cooking grate make this barbecue incredibly strong and long-lasting. Even cleaning is a snap, thanks to the aluminum ash catcher.
Finally, the Jumbo Joe’s temperature control is remarkable. Leaving the air vents open as you prepare allows good heat control, but closing them completely extinguishes the coals below.
- You can easily adjust the grill’s internal temperature with the use of dampers
- The grill is portable to suit your needs
- Suitable for a wide range of outdoor activities, including camping, trekking, and backpacking
- It can produce 8 burgers thanks to the Weber burger press
- A lid holder and a lock in one, the Tuck-N-Carry lid lock
- Durable stainless steel lid and bowl design make it suitable for cold and hot dishes
- Sturdy construction
- Assembling and cleaning are a breeze
- Retaining heat
- Plenty of space for preparing meals
- Insufficient room for a kitchen
- It is difficult to adjust the bottom vent
- Plastic handle
6. Cuisinart CCG190RB Inch BBQ, 14.5″ x 14.5″ x 15″, Portable Charcoal Grill, 14″ (Red)
- 150-SQUARE-INCH CHROME PLATED GRATE: The 150-square-inch chrome plated cooking rack gives a spacious cooking surface is able accommodate lots of food at one time while still distributing heat evenly and efficiently.
- DUAL VENTING SYSTEM: Features a Dual venting system, giving you the ultimate charcoal management and temperature control.
- THREE SECURE LID LOCKS: The grill features three secure lid locks for easy and safe transport.
This unit is made entirely of metal, save for the handle. Enamel-coating the firebox makes it look good and lasts a long time. No matter where you take this grill, it will thrive.
It comes with a cooking space measuring 150 sq. in., a cooking rack that’s chrome-plated, and adequate room for 4 to 6 burgers at a time in the hood. A dual-venting system and a lid-locking bowl are located on the top.
An ash catchment tray made of durable enamel will not spill, or even rust after many years of heavy usage.
Because your tiny charcoal barbecue is one-of-a-kind, pick a color scheme that reflects your style. Black and red are the available colors for the Cuisinart 14-Inch Portable Charcoal Grill.
Go no further than this Cuisinart grill if you’re looking for a lightweight, robust, efficient, and ready-to-pack, stow, and go charcoal grill.
- Convenience and safety is a guarantee thanks to the mess-free ash catcher and an enamel-coated, durable firebox.
- When cooking large amounts of food, the 150 sq. in. chrome-plated cooking rack provides a large surface area that allows for an efficient and even distribution of heat.
- It’s portable and lightweight, making it perfect for tailgating, balconies, decks, camping, patios, etc.
- There are three locks on the grill’s lid for safety and convenience when moving it.
- Has a dual venting system, allowing you to control the temperature and manage the charcoal.
- Long-lasting ash catcher
- In addition, it has a dual-venting system that allows for maximum temperature control and charcoal
- Enamel layer of defense
- Has three lid locks for safety and portability
- Stable base
- Easy to maneuver due to its lightweight construction
- Interconnected legs
- At times, latches feel a little too tight
- Sticky grates
- Cleaning the ash catcher is difficult
7. BEAU JARDIN Portable Charcoal Grill for Outdoor 18-inch Barbecue Grill and Smoker Heat Control Round BBQ Kettle Outdoor Picnic Patio Backyard Camping Tailgating Steel Cooking for Steak Chicken BG144
- PORTABLE CHARCOAL GRILL：Portable charcoal grills with dimension of 18 inch diameter by 24-inch high without lid. Durable 18 inch diameter of BBQ grill plated steel cooking grate provides ample cooking surface for any meal of your grilling. A perfect Go-anywhere kettle grill with two bowl handles and durable wheels for outdoor camping by getting your friends or family hovering around the grill, hungry for tempting charcoal flavor of burnt food. Screws and washers are in the bottom of the legs.
- PERFECT HEAT CONTROL&RETENTION: Rust-resistant adjustable aluminum air vent damper allows for heat control without hassle to lift the lid. Two handles of the cooking grate make you easy to lift it to add or adjusting charcoal. Heavy-duty durable plated steel charcoal grate design withstands the heat of any charcoal fire for a direct or indirect grilling with this charcoal grate. The round porcelain-enameled coating bowl and lid retains heat well to flow for even grilling.
- EASY TO USE&CLEAN: The inside lid hanger hook under the lid could be hung on one bowl handle without hassle to lift it or put it on the ground. The ash leak under the bowl and the ash catcher become the best choice to be one-touch cleaning system. You just need to rotate the ash leak to move the ash down into the ash catcher for easy ash disposal and cleaning. The durable wheels make this charcoal BBQ grill to be easy to move and transport for outdoor picnic tailgate camping.
Some improvements to the Beau Jardin 18-Inch Portable Charcoal Grill are sure to please anyone who has previously used it. The new design includes thicker, more insulated handles and larger, sturdier wheels.
In addition, the lid and bowl are thick to ensure improved heat retention and a stronger frame as well. As a bonus, they look great and give the design a more current, cutting-edge feel.
Also, there are rust-resistant aluminum vents that make it easy to control the temperature, durable plated steel charcoal grates, and stainless steel coal grates that are easy to clean. Just turn the dial and watch the ashes fall into the catcher.
In addition to the wireframe shelf beneath the catchment system, you can store additional charcoal, plates, spices, and cooking equipment.
This grill is a good value for the money, and it has a classic look to it. The height of this unit emphasizes portability, regardless of how or in what you are “riding.” It’s a wonderful grilling machine for the money, and it’s ready for the road.
- There was no need to lift it or set it on the ground because of the hook on the inside lid hanger underneath the lid. You can achieve one-touch cleaning by using the bowl and the bowl’s ash collector to catch the ashes. As the ash leak rotates, ash will fall into the catch basin, making it easy to dispose of and clean. To move this grill around for tailgating and outdoor picnics, you can use the strong wheels.
- You can control the heat without having to open the lid thanks to a rust-resistant adjustable vent damper. The grilling grate has two handles so that you can lift it easily to adjust or add coal. This grate features heavy-duty plated steel that can tolerate any charcoal fire’s heat, grilling directly or even indirectly. The thicker, round porcelain-enameled layer on the lid and bowl absorbs heat efficiently to ensure consistent grilling.
- With step-by-step instructions, you can put this portable charcoal grill together in minutes. The porcelain-enameled coating on the thick grilling bowl and lid helps retain heat, resulting in tastier food. You can change the grilling conditions by adjusting the vent damper. Steaks, burgers, and more will taste even better with the smoky taste you’ll get from the grill.
- Grills with a diameter of 18-inches and a height of 31.5-inches are ideal as portable charcoal grills. The barbecue grill’s plated steel cooking grate has a cooking space of 255 sq. in., making it ideal for grilling any meal. Kettle grills are a great way to get your friends and loved ones excited about outdoor camping by stoking their appetites with the tantalizing charred flavor of charcoal-grilled food.
- Galvanized bowl
- Exceptional heat-retention capacity
- Simple to put together
- Extremely simple to operate
- Small but adequate space for cooking
- Sturdy construction
- Shallow bowl