Aprons are one of the clothing items that needs frequent and thorough washing. Aprons tend to get dirty quickly since they come in contact with food spills and water from washing and rinsing your dishes. Thus, if you are not careful, you can get stains on your apron.
It will help if you wash your apron daily. Needless to say, it depends on the condition of the apron. If the apron is not too dirty, you can wash it at least five times a week. Also, did you know it is best to wash your apron manually?
Placing your apron in the washing machine might not get rid of the stubborn stains. Sometimes, your apron needs a proper scrub or bleach, if white.
Note that when washing your apron, avoid mixing it with other clothes. Otherwise, you risk transferring grease and food stains on the apron to other clothes. Wash it separately from other stains.
So, what is the proper way of cleaning and maintaining your kitchen apron?
No products found.
How to clean your kitchen apron
If you have no clue about the procedure of cleaning your kitchen apron, follow the steps below:
- The first thing to do would be to understand the type of fabric used to make your kitchen apron. In most instances, all clothing has a label indicating its composition and washing instructions. So, check the label on your apron and see the washing instructions. Then, place your apron in warm to hot water with detergent and leave it for an average of 25 minutes. Nonetheless, confirm whether the apron material can get washed with hot/warm water on the label.
- In case your apron contains food stains, use ammonia to get rid of the discoloration. All you have to do is pour a substantial amount of ammonia into the water. Then, insert the apron in the water and leave it for at least 20 minutes. If you see zero signs of the stain coming out, use your hand or soft brush to scrub off the apron’s stain. Alternatively, homeowners can use club soda to get rid of apron stains. In this case, apply club soda to the stain and brush it gently until the whole stain comes off.
- For grease stains, use liquid dish wash. Liquid dish wash does a good job of breaking down and getting rid of grease particles. So, rub the dish wash liquid on the stain and brush it off immediately; it won’t take long before eliminating the stain.
- Often, aprons pick up smells from foods like garlic and onions. If you want a fresh-smelling apron, pour hydrogen peroxide into the washing water. Then, after you finish washing the apron, rinse it well with plain water. Liquids-like milk also have an unpleasant solid smells. Use a mixture of white vinegar and water to get rid of the milk odor on the apron.
- Aside from using normal detergent and warm water to wash your apron, consider using salt and lemon juice. What you do is mix salt, water, and lemon juice in a medium-sized bucket. Then, soak the apron for about 20 to 30 minutes. Lemon juice is ideal for getting rid of tough stains. So, if you have a stubborn stain on your apron, apply lemon juice and scrub it. Not to mention, lemon juice acts as a neutralizer and clears away all food smells from the kitchen aprons.
Cleaning your stalwart leather apron
Today, kitchen experts have come up with different types of aprons that incorporate different fabrics. One of the popular apron types is the stalwart leather apron.
Typically, stalwart leather aprons contain unique material that gives you an easy cleaning time. They don’t need thorough washing like normal aprons. All they need is a simple wipe using a microfiber cloth soaked in detergent.
It’s almost like you only have to clean the surface. Soaking the whole stalwart leather apron in water would damage its composition.
No products found.
Tips for cleaning kitchen aprons at home:
- Rubbing club soda on the stain is another simple tip of getting rid of a kitchen apron’s stains. Wet your apron, and then rub the soda until the stain vanishes.
- If there are dry stains, you can add three tablespoons of ammonia in half bucket of water and soak your apron for twenty minutes.
- An apron will smell of garlic, onion, water, or wine. To have an apron that smells nice, you should soak it in a bleaching agent such as hydrogen peroxide for 10 to 15 minutes. It is best to do this after you’ve washed and rinsed once in the water.
- Additionally, you can remove stains from your kitchen apron using milk. To get rid of the milk from the apron, you can wash it with white vinegar and water. The vinegar’s odor will decrease after drying.
- You can use liquid dish soap to eliminate grease stains. The washes get rid of grease with ease. Then, apply some on the stain while rubbing until the stains vanish.
- Another easy tip to use is washing the aprons using salt with lemon. You can add some drops of lemon and salt to the water and then soak your apron. Another method is using a lemon slice with salt on the stain. Use warm water to wash the apron and air dry. After that, you can iron your kitchen apron.
- Carefully read the fabric directions before you wash them. If you can wash the apron in warm or hot water, it is best to soak it for 20 to 30 minutes. After that, add some cleaning detergent to the water.
In this day and age, aprons have become more common among most homeowners. Undoubtedly, aprons are useful in protecting your main clothing from dirt while preparing meals and washing utensils.
Even though aprons are affordable, it is important to take good care of your apron. You definitely don’t want to keep replacing your apron now and then. Cleaning your apron requires skill.
Always check the material of the apron and follow the washing guidelines indicated on the label. Then, soak the apron in warm water with detergent for about 20 minutes.
For stained aprons, use ammonia, white vinegar solution in lemon juice to eliminate the stubborn stains. Nevertheless, note that aprons are different and incorporate a different washing process.